This South African favourite is the ultimate winter dessert. Sweet, spongy, rich and delectably tasty, this pudding is a sure winner and quite easy to make too!
½ cup of sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon of vinegar
1 tablespoon of apricot jam
1 cup of cake flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 cup of milk
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of boiling water
1 cup full cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoon butter
• Preheat oven to 180o C and grease a oven dish
• Beat sugar and eggs together.
• Slowly add vinegar and jam. Mix well.
• Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well then add sugar/ egg mixture in.
• Mix bicarbonate of soda with milk and add to mixture.
• Pour mixture into prepared oven dish and bake for 45- 60 minutes. Check if baked though with a toothpick.
• Make syrup after removing baked pudding from oven.
• Mix sugar, hot water, cream, butter in a pot and mix until sugar is completely dissolved.
• Let the syrup boil for 5 minutes on low heat and add vanilla essence.
• Pour boiling syrup over the pudding and let it rest for 10 minutes.
• Serve the pudding warm with custard, cream, or ice cream.