This Sloppy Joe Casserole is made in a skillet featuring all the great flavors of your favorite Sloppy Joes and is topped with tender flaky biscuits.
Sloppy Joes are about as easy as you can get when making dinner. A sloppy Joe sandwich is basically ground beef and tomato sauce in a bun. Seriously that’s all there is to it. I decided to make a casserole out of it with biscuits on top. I also thought I could throw in some veggies in there, like mushrooms and carrots, because you really don’t taste it in the end and I’m all about hiding veggies. In my head it just makes this casserole this much healthier! Not to mention that since we only have the top of the bun, that’s even better, only half the carbs!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 10 oz mushrooms, cleaned and chopped (I used cremini mushrooms)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
For the flaky Biscuit Recipe click here
- Preheat your oven to 200 ‘C
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil then add the ground beef. Cook the beef until it’s no longer pink, breaking it up as you go along.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots and cook for about 3 more minutes until the onion and carrots soften a bit. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, until the mushrooms cook down.
- Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Stir in the tomato sauce and ketchup. Remove from heat.
- Top with biscuits, as many as you can fit, probably about 7 or 8, then brush with the melted butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Sprinkle the top of the biscuits with some pepper and/or parsley.
- Serve warm. You can also serve this with some shredded cheddar cheese if preferred.
Check out the video, guys, and give this recipe a try!