This is a classic flavour combination, and with this recipe you easily create a low-fat, high-fibre cake.
300g wholemeal self-raising flour
10ml mixed spice
150g chopped dates
50g chopped walnuts
60ml sunflower oil
115g dark muscovado sugar (alternatively brown sugar)
300ml skimmed milk
Walnut halves to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Grease and line a loaf tin, or cake tin with greaseproof paper
3. Sift together the flour and spice.
4. Stir in the dates and walnuts
5. Mix the oil, sugar and milk, then stir evenly into the dry ingredients
6. Spoon into your loaf/cake tin and arrange the walnut halves on top
7. Bake the cake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and firm
8. Turn out the cake, remove the lining paper and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Makes 1 cake