This Masala chicken recipe is beautiful when served hot with hot potatoes, or cold with salad and rice. This is a low-fat, low-cholesterol dish with a spicy bite.
12 chicken thighs without skin
90ml lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
5ml crushed dried red chillies
5ml grated fresh ginger
5ml soft brown sugar
30ml clear honey
30ml chopped fresh coriander
1 green chilli, finely chopped
20ml sunflower oil
Sliced chilli to garnish
1. Prick the chicken thighs with a fork, rinse, pat dry and set aside in a large bowl.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the lemon juice, ginger, garlic, crushed dried red chillies, salt, sugar and honey.
3. Add the chicken thighs to the spice mixture and coat well. Set aside for about 45 minutes
4. Preheat a grill on medium heat
5. Add the fresh coriander and chopped green chilli to the chicken thighs, and place in an oven dish.
6. Pour any remaining marinade over the chicken and baste with the oil, using a pastry brush
7. Grill the chicken thighs under the preheated grill for 15-20 minutes. Turn and baste occasionally, until cooked through, and browned
8. Transfer to serving dish, and garnish with sliced chilli.
9. Serve hot with hot potatoes (either baked or microwaved) or cold with a green salad and rice.