Sure, avocado toast never goes out of fashion. But every now and then, it’s nice to spice things up, Tex-Mex-style. That’s why we’re calling in the big guns: breakfast tacos.
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup grated cheese of choice, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped Hatch green chile (optional)
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon
- 2 links chorizo, casings removed
- 2 small corn tortillas, cut into 1½-by-¼-inch strips
- 8 small flour tortillas, warmed
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Also Read: Homemade Tortilla Recipe
1. In a small bowl, toss together the cherry tomatoes, lime juice, olive oil, avocado, garlic, salt and pepper to coat, then set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until smooth, then whisk in the cheese, cream and green chile; season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
3. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, flipping once, until golden and rendered, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a cutting board. Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop then transfer to a bowl.
4. To the pan of rendered bacon fat, add the chorizo. Cook, stirring often to break up the meat, until the chorizo is golden and rendered, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the bowl with the bacon.
5. Add the tortilla strips to the pan and cook until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low, then add the eggs with the reserved bacon and chorizo. Cook, stirring constantly, until the eggs are fully scrambled, 3 to 4 minutes.
6. On a cutting board, lay out the warm flour tortillas. Divide the scrambled eggs between the tortillas, then spoon the tomato mixture over top. Garnish with cilantro, then serve.