Soda may seem like odd ingredients to use in a cake. It’s subtle, but you can totally taste the cola when you eat the cake, and we love the unique flavor. As if you would need any other reason to make this cake, but it can be accomplished using just one bowl, one small saucepan, and a measuring cup. Low maintenance is always a big selling point for us!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 bottle Coca-Cola (500ml)
- 2 Tablespoons grated orange peel
- ½ Cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 large fresh, ripe strawberries, preferably unhulled
- ½ Cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 package confectioners’ sugar (250 gr)
- 3 Tablespoons powdered chocolate drink mix such as Nestle’s Quik
- 1 ½ Teaspoon vanilla extract
- TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 30 min
- Prep Time: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Heat oven to 180’c; grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Cake: Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using 1 1/3 cups Coca-Cola in place of water and stirring 1 tablespoon grated orange peel in the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Invert cake onto wire rack cool completely. Cake may be made and stored, tightly wrapped, up to two days before decorating.
- Frosting: Stir chocolate chips in a small heavy saucepan over very low heat until melted and smooth; remove from heat.
- Dip strawberries into chocolate to coat halfway, placing each berry as it is dipped on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Refrigerate berries until ready to use.
- Cut cooled cake horizontally into 2 equal layers with a sharp serrated knife; place bottom layer on large cookie sheet.
- Beat the butter in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy; gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and chocolate drink mix until smooth.
- Beat in 1/3 cup of remaining Coca-Cola, remaining 1 tablespoon grated orange peel and vanilla until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Spread half of frosting over bottom cake layer; top with the second layer.
- Swirl remaining frosting over top of the cake. Cut cake into 12 portions; arrange on the platter.
- Decorate with chocolate-dipped strawberries.
Make 12 servings.