Delicious Crispy Buttermilk Chicken – so easy to make!
- 6 whole spring onions, sliced coarsley
- 1 – 3 cloves garlic, sliced coarsely
- 30 ml dried sage (or 90 ml fresh, sliced coarsely)
- red chilli flakes to taste
- 65 ml lemon juice
- 375 ml buttermilk
- 12 – 16 chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs and wings)
- 500 ml finely crushed cornflakes
- 250 ml finely grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- salt and milled black pepper to taste
Place the spring onions, garlic, half the sage, chilli flakes, lemon juice and buttermilk in a processor and blend until smooth. Pour over chicken pieces in a glass bowl. Cover and marinate for at least 4 hours and even up to 12 hours in the fridge, turning the chicken once in a while.
Drain the chicken and place on a tray. Discard the marinade and season the chicken. Mix together the corn flakes, cheese and the rest of the sage and sprinkle over chicken pieces, rolling each piece around in the mixture and patting the crumbs firmly down.
Transfer the chicken pieces to a greased or oiled wire rack positioned inside a baking tray and bake in the oven preheated to 200 ºC for 35 – 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked right through and golden. If it browns too quickly, lower the oven temperature to 190 ºC and cover the pieces lightly op top with foil. Serve crisp and hot as a starter with a spicy dipping sauce or as a main course with potato wedges and salad.
To read more inspiring recipes, click here