With little to no time on your hands, dating can seem an impossible task if you are a busy working woman. Dating a colleague may seem like the next logical step, but, there are a few consequences that may come with it.In most companies, there is a policy that prohibits employees from dating each other and employees. For the most part this is a good policy as it prevents a whole lot of awkward and uncomfortable scenarios.
Considering the Pros and Cons
- Dating a partner that works in the same environment as you and understands the pressures that comes with your specific line of work can be ideal. This way you won’t have to constantly explain yourself.
- You have something in common that you can discuss and bounce ideas off of each other.
- The thrill of having constant access to your partner.
- Working in the same business, there might be times where you and your partner have to compete with each other and this might cause bitterness in your working relationship and tenseness in your personal one.
- Although it might be appealing at first, but eventually a need for a bit of space (which would have been available if you worked at separate places) from each other might cause you and your partner to drift apart.
- If you happen to be dating an employer or a partner in a more senior position than you or vice versa, then some people might actually complain to human resources about your relationship or you can be accused of favouritism.
- If you decide to keep your relationship a secret, this might also put a strain on your relationship as issues of jealousy might come into play.
- There is also office gossip that you might have to put up with. Some people will make up their own assumptions about your relationship, while others might accuse you of awful things such as sleeping your way to the top, which might dent your character even if it is untrue.
- In case of a break-up, things can be awkward for you and your ex and this may cause an uncomfortable situation especially if there is a bitter party involved.
The cons in dating in the workplace definitely outweighs the pros, but at the end it all depends on the couple and what they expect out of the relationship and what rules they have decided to enforce for their relationship both in and out of the workplace.
In order to make your relationship with your colleague work, you have to decide which is more important to you. You both have to decide how you want to handle your relationship and deal with the consequences that may come with it.
The most important thing is putting your career first if you are still in the dating stage of your life or are not looking for anything serious.
However, do not close yourself off on what could be the love of your life because of a job.