Most women, at some stage in their lives, develop the need to wear clothing items to hide a rounded or full stomach or to camouflage an all of a sudden too tight fitting pair of jeans.
The art of looking slimmer is about learning more about your specific body shape and to find the correct style solutions to highlight your assets and disguise what you think are the least appealing attributes of your body.
Whether your need to dressing slimmer is only temporary, until you have been able to those unwanted kilo’s or whether you decide to accept and celebrate your voluptuous curves, here are some clever ways of dressing to bring about your best shape:
When you have wide hips, a full bottom and stomach:
• Avoid short lengths, wear longer length shaped tops and jackets
• Do not tuck in tops
• Avoid shiny fabrics, wear matt fabrics
• Opt for single-breasted, rather than double-breasted jackets
• No pocket detail
• Regular pants fit better than hipsters
• Tapered bottoms makes the legs look slimmer than wide bottoms
• Always choose items with a shaped waistband rather than an elasticated waistband
• Do not wear a belt across the hips
• Opt for a flat front rather than a pleated waistband
• Swop a full skirt for a tapered skirt
• Avoid wearing shoes with thick heels with a skirt, opt for tapered heels instead
• Never underestimate the value of good fitting underwear to make the body appear smoother and tighter.
When you want to conceal a full bust line:
• Do not wear to tight fitting clothing, ensure a good fit
• Avoid stiff, structured fabrics, rather wear soft fabrics
• Opt for scooped necklines instead of high round necklines
• Short shallow pleats will make a full beast seem fuller
• Choose single-breasted styles over double-breasted styles
• Avoid any belt in the waist
• Scarves in soft material such as chiffon or slik
Looking slimmer is not just a matter of wearing the correct shapes and right colours to suit your skin tone, it is also about completing the look with the correct shape and size handbag, appropriate shoes for the outfit as well as jewelry complementing your outfit and your shape. A daily beauty routine and a flattering hairstyle, will complement your new look and give you a renewed sense of self-confidence.
Copy provided by Willene Swart, Chata Romano Ambassador and Senior Image Consultant.
To read more inspiring articles on fashion, click here