This is usually a high-fat dish using mince, but we have a lovely low cholesterol, low-fat version for you, using turkey!
450g lean minced turkey
1 onion, finely chopped
60ml tomato puree
250ml red wine or stock (use stock for lower calories)
5ml ground cinnamon
300g cups macaroni
300ml skimmed milk
25g sunflower margarine
25g plain flour
5ml grated nutmeg
2 sliced tomatoes
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C
2. Fry the onion and turkey in a non-stick pan without the fat until lightly browned
3. Stir in the tomato puree, red wine/stock and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper and leave to simmer for 5 minutes
4. Cook the macaroni in lightly salted boiling water, until tender. Drain and add to an oven proof dish, mix in the meat mixture.
5. To make the sauce, place milk, margarine and flour in a saucepan (moderate heat) and whisk until thickened and smooth. Stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour the sauce over the meat and macaroni.
7. Arrange the tomato slices on top, and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. 8. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serves 4-6 Serve with a green salad.
To read more inspiring recipes, click here