Vuyokazi Charity Matu is one of the Founders, Directors and Shareholders of Okuhle Media, a Film and Television production company producing content for broadcasters and brands locally and internationally. She was born in the rural Eastern Cape and studied at the University of Transkei.
When a community radio (UCR-FM) was launched on campus, she was one of the presenters selected. She then won the Best Presenter of the year Award as voted by the listeners.
For greener pastures, she left the Eastern Cape for the bright lights of Cape Town. Despite not being able to communicate in English, she used every cent and enrolled at City Varsity Film School, with the aim of learning English while studying acting and presentation for radio and television.
On receiving her Diploma at the Film School, she joined the company as a Road Show Team Leader. Vuyokazi exceeded her targets in the role, shortly after which she was called back to assist at front desk as receptionist.
She has worked her way through the business, almost literally fulfilling every role from promoter, to receptionist, production coordinator, operations manager, Head of Operations, responsible for recruiting, managing and placing over 200 promoters nationally every week. As a great Project Manager, she successfully managed national promotional campaigns on behalf of clients such as Woolworths, Premier Foods, Colgate & the Parliament of RSA. She has been involved in various television productions, on different capacities as production manager, scriptwriter, content advisor, researcher, translator, actor, presenter, this includes ‘BornFrees’ – a documentary series for Etv and ‘Take Part In Parliament’, a series for SABC 2 that educated the public on how to get involved in Parliament. She has made a significant contribution to the culture and growth of the company as HR manager and HR director.
With her natural ability for responsibility, outside the company, she has been involved in Industry organisations as Board member for Women in Film and Television and later voted into the Board of the Cape Film Commission.
Just before the World Cup in 2010, when both the CEO and Chairperson of Cape Film Commission resigned at the same time, Vuyokazi was elected by the board and appointed by economic development to lead operations at the CFC as Executive Chairperson until the new CEO was appointed. This is another role she fulfilled with tireless dedication, gaining wide spread respect by industry peers.
She represented South Africa in France as part of the Province and Industry’s preparation for the 2010 World Cup. She was selected by the International Emmy Academy of Television to be part of the South African delegation of Judges for the Emmy Awards Documentary category, and visited the United States of America for the ceremony and exposure to latest industry trends and techniques from some of the world’s respected television industry professionals.
Vuyokazi was recently invited by Association for International Broadcasting in London to join the panel of judges for the AIB Awards 2017.
Closest to her heart is community development through her involvement in Marriage Enrichment courses run through her church. For the past 5 years she’s one of the Leaders running courses on strengthening marriages in the community. She believes that when marriages are strong, homes are strong, society is strong and the walls of the City are Strong!
Summary of Leadership Involvements
- 2017 – 1 March, CEO, Okuhle Media
- 2017 – Judge, Association for International Broadcasting London, Factual Category
- 2016 – Founder, Shareholder, Director, Chief Engagement Officer, Board Member, Okuhle Media
- 2010/11 – Executive Chairperson, Cape Film Commission
- 2010 – Board Member – Skills and Transformation, Cape Film Commission
- 2010 – Western Cape Provincial Government, Film Industry Representative, Miptv (France)
- 2010 – Judge, International Emmy Awards, TV Series
- 2012 – 2016 Marriage Enrichment Programme Facilitator, His People Church
- 2012 – Judge, International Emmy Awards, Documentary Category
- 2012 – SA Representative to International Emmy Awards & Television Festival (New York)
- 2012/3 – BIG Fish School Of Digital Filmmaking, Advisory Committee
- 2009 – Board Member, Skills and Transformation, Women in Film & Television SA
- 1996 – Member of Management Team – UCR-FM Community Radio
Highlights – Recent Professional Speaking Engagements
- 2014 – UCT Graduate School of Business – Guest Speaker, Women in Business
- 2016 – SARS Western Cape – Guest Speaker Women’s Month, 60th Anniversary Celebration of the Women’s March
Vuyokazi, we salute you!